MOAA EARNS RECOGNITION. The Military Officers Association of America’s efforts on behalf of its members and the wider military community have again earned recognition from The Hill newspaper, which named MOAA one of the top lobbying associations for the 12th straight year. MOAA was the only military or veteran service organization named. Lt. Gen Atkins said “But our work is far from finished. We will remain engaged with every branch of government on behalf of our nation’s service members and veterans, and their families, to ensure their efforts are acknowledged and their earned benefits are protected.” The HILL is a nonpartisan publication with a 24,000-copy print circulation that includes every Congressional office.
Our Chapter is recognized by MOAA National for its Retention of Membership. We are one of 91 chapters that retained at least 80% of their total membership. We still have a challenge to get new members, but it is a feather in the cap to not lose those already on board, especially, as we all get older. Plus we got a $250 retention incentive award from National MOAA.
MEETINGS - Our Next Meeting is 21 November 2019 at Tuckers at the usual 6 PM. Our Program is a presentation from representatives of the Camp Toccoa Project in Toccoa, Georgia. Camp Toccoa was one of the training locations for an Army airborne unit that later became known as Band of Brothers. This story was made into the TV mini-series recounting the history of the men of Easy Company, 101st Airborne from early training to D-Day to the end of World War Two in Europe. If you have not visited the museum in Toccoa, you need to put it on your list. The Camp Toccoa project is presently restoring the actual camp where the training took place. See our newsletter for details and how to attend.
Navigating your military benefits can be a challenge. That’s why MOAA provides you with the information you need to help you take full advantage of all that you’ve earned. Learn more at www.moaa.org. DID YOU KNOW that if you are a LIFE MEMBER of MOAA you can get personalized advice by phone on your VA, or other government benefits ?
1. Two more states have enacted the no-state-tax for veterans. North Dakota went immediately to full exemption. Indiana has a phased in program over 4 years to full exemption.
2. Chiropractic and acupuncture services could be covered by Tricare under a new policy set to be proposed. Currently, this care is offered only to active-duty troops and activated Guard and Reserve. Just what will be covered under the new Tricare policy is a mystery. Coverage would likely not be available until early 2022.
3. Military retirees, those who receive disability or other benefits from the VA, federal retirees and Social Security recipients will see a 1.6% increase in their monthly checks in 2020.
4. Veterans and military retirees can receive FREE flu shots at Walgreens, Ingles, Publix and Propp Drugs.
Call ahead to insure schedule and availability and have your military ID.
5. South Carolina currently has two state veterans homes. They are located in Anderson and Walterboro. Three more have been approved and funded by the SC Legislature and Executive Branch by then Governor Nikki Haley. They will be located in Florence (construction underway), Gaffney (site preparation underway), and Columbia (still in location and design phase). These state veteran homes are federally subsidized but state owned, built and managed.
Andersonians in War. The Anderson County Museum is in the fundraising stage for a new permanent exhibit named ‘Andersonians in War”. This exhibit will highlight the heroes of our county and its rich military history and will offer a unique window into our military past, from the Revolution to the modern day. Any veteran or service member who has lived in Anderson County is eligible for inclusion. Look for a separate email explaining the program in more detail. Or call Dale Ellenburg at 864-225-1073.
Kudos to SC MOAA Chapters. The Grand Strand Chapter and the Keowee Chapter are 2 of 22 chapters nationally to receive funds from the MOAA Community Outreach Grant Program. Well Done!
Piedmont South Carolina Chapter